New release only 1 week late! Read about it here
Starship Command 2
A downloadable game for Windows
About Starship Command 2
Starship Command 2 is a much-expanded (and currently in alpha) sequel to Starship Command, a persistent-world, massively single-player, real-time tactical starship simulator wrapped in an AI-driven 4X game. Starting with a lowly shuttle, you will trade and battle your way to victory, amassing a gigantic fleet customized to your liking!
What Is Meant by Massively Single-Player?
Massively Single-Player means when you start Starship Command 2 the first time, it will generate a galaxy with thousands of sectors, each with their own planets and economies. Then populate the galaxy with AI-controlled empires that will attempt to conquer every sector. The galaxy persists through every captain you play as. And you can swap between multiple captains and play both sides of a conflict.
The empires will create wars and alliances with other empires, and even break out in civil wars.
But What Do I Do?
Take command of a starship! (or a fleet of starships). Build a fortune by trading commodities, completing missions, collecting taxes from sectors and battle the other empires for glory!
- Hundreds of empires (hand-crafted and computer generated) to play.
- Thousands of sectors to colonize, trade with or attack.
- Automated captain's log generation will note actions taken by you and later save the entire log to a file.
- Persistent galaxy that stays through all captains you play as.
What is Currently Working:
- Galaxy generation - All galaxies are based on moddable JSON files.
- Moddability - In fact, all files are either JSON or PNG, making the game mod-friendly!
- Empire AI - All empires will act & react to other empires, creating a dynamic galaxy that can span thousands of years.
- Economy - Trading commodities between sectors and colonizing sectors.
- Captain's Log - Working, but still needs polishing as more features are added to Starship Command 2.
- Randomly-created ship hulls and components
What is Planned:
- Massive real-time, tactical, space battles - Possibly hundreds of ships battling, while balancing power usage, shield sections, weapon and shield frequencies, etc.
- Ship-boarding and capture - Beam aboard enemy ships and capture or sabotage while the battle rages on around you.
- Job boards and scenarios - Standard jobs, such as take me here, bring this here, kill this guy, etc. scenarios such as moral dilemmas, logic problems, nemesis-battles, space-monsters, empire super-weapons, etc.
What is Planned for the Future:
- Planet exploration - Beam down to a planet and explore the terrain, people and animals.
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.
All that in 7Mb? How on Earth did you manage that?
I know right? When I zipped it up for the first time I was surprised. It's all through procedural generation. Other than a handful of graphics for the GUI (and eventually sound and music), it's all code.
I've been tinkering in the game all day. Enjoying it in this early stage and will be happy to see how it progresses. If I may make a suggestion? An option for 10x and 100x investments as it can turn into a real clickfest later in the game once you have a steady income of taxes coming in from all your colonies. Had to turn the volume down as the ding was irritating everyone.
Those galaxies, jeez, you're not wrong about being large. Don't think I've populated more than 1% of the systems yet. It's a very long term game if you aim to rule the galaxy (and who doesn't?)
Thanks, the 10X or 100X investments... is that for the sector development? I agree that needs to be reworked. And the button click sound does get annoying.
What size galaxy are you playing?
Yes, sector investments. After a day I had so many billions of credits I didn't know what to do besides just invest in my colonies, but a multiplier would have made it faster. 8 arm spiral - can't remember if large or huge.
Poking around, I could replace the sound file with something quieter for my own sanity
I'm looking forward to seeing it develop
Cool! Yeah, I'll actually add that in the next build (around Saturday)! And credits are going to used mainly in ships, as of right now it looks like a large, fully-outfitted ship is going to run 1-2 billion credits.
If I can ask, what are your specs and how does it run? I'm developing it on a Q9550 & GTX750, so I'd love performance reports.
- Buyable hulls and shipyards fundamentals are working
- Travel log
- Colonization cost penalty for each governed sector
- Toggle-able fullscreen (Alt+Enter)
- GUI graphic alteration
- Updated hull weapon-point generation
- Improved atmosphere graphic
ADDED: New captain screen now shows the base hull shape of the selected empire.